If you’ve found me in the depths of social media on Instagram you may have noticed I’ve been experimenting with green smoothies as a way to boost my vitamin intake and work towards my 5 a day.
Generally speaking I struggle to eat as well as I’d like (thanks to selective eating disorder) but I’ve finally found something that really works for me! 🙂
After some extensive Googling I found more than enough healthy eating inspiration and smoothie recipes over at Deliciously Ella (seriously recommend her blog – it’s fabulous).
So why not give this yummy pear and vanilla green smoothie a go for starters? It makes a great nutritious and filling breakfast or energy boosting snack…
I used Ella’s recipe for starters and added in some additional touches for a boost that suit me (and my hormones). Get stuck into those cupboards and get your blenders ready…
- 1 pear
- 2/3 of a mug of almond milk (200ml)
- a big handful of spinach
- a handful of oats
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1/2 a teaspoon of vanilla powder
- Maca powder
- Chia seeds
You may have heard about Chia seeds and Maca powder but what’s the fuss about? Maca Powder is rich in vitamins B, C and E, Calcium, Zinc, Iron and is great for managing hormonal imbalance. Chia seeds are another big super food that checks the boxes for good fiber, protein and Omega 3 – great for beating carb cravings, keeping you energised and helping keeping you going throughout the day.
- Remove the core and cut the pear into sections
- Throw into the blender
- Wash the spinach leaves and add to the blender (as a guide half of your smoothie should be greenery)
- Measure out and add a tablespoon/handful of oats
- Add a teaspoon of chia seeds
- Add a teaspoon of maca powder
- Add a sprinkling of vanilla powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- Add a tablespoon of almond butter
- Fill up the blender with almond milk
- Close the lid, flip the lid and blend, blend, blend…
Pop in the fridge and et voila!